Thursday 22 October 2009

New psychedelia -two hot ones

Currently wiggin' out big time in the car -on CD (boo) because haven't got it on vinyl yet - to Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound's, Kolob Canyon. Swirling updrafts of glissando guitar rise lark- like to blue sky vocals. Lyrics swoop and dive across the azure but remain indecipherable. But who cares what the words say, it's the tune wot matters.And this toon matters in the extremis, it's one of the most exciting pieces of music I ve heard for a long time. Catch it if you can. It's trippy man!
Also on the new psychedelic tip Wooden Shjips (love that extraneous 'j' guys) with Down By The Sea - if you have a fondness for music that hypnotises this is the track for you. The locomotive rhythm section, unwavering from start to finish, provide a dense, opiated drive over which strangled shaved-steel guitar lines upswell to a glorious, breaching, cacophony of spastic-spasm spumes of psychotropic abandon (Pseuds-Corner, I am available). More of this sort a ting, I say.
At home, using my newly acquired Bang and Olufsen 4600 (£10 from the boot sale) to re-explore some synth sounds from the eighties. Fad Gadget's Fireside Favourites currently playing and I'm enjoying the retro-glow as it takes me back to my daze in Brighton when I first heard Insecticide and the album's title track . Also been taking late night respite with side two of Eno's Before & After Science. So simple, so subtle so sublimely innocent.

Tomorrow it's an early start with Wimbledon boot sale. Who knows what goodies I'll find there tomorrow? Nobody that's who - because how could anyone know unless they were a time traveller or from a parallel universe or God. Last Wednesday got a nice little bagful of tricks - a thermal jug, a fantastic little socket set from like the year dot, a wooden tray that clamps on the arm of a chair, or the head of a lackey if you have that sort of lifestyle, a nice plant/pan stand in cast iron, a guitar foot-stall (according to my girlfriend Nicky) and a little little mustard jug carrying the legend 'I improve everything'. I shall despatch it on a tour of Afghanistan and other trouble spots immediately. Then we'll see, whether it's a hollow boast or, indeed, Jesus returned in pot form. I may well post pictures of these items. If I'm feeling devilish.

No comments:

Post a Comment